It’s always a great time to be playing Chaos. John Bianco proved that statement to be true, taking his Emperor’s Children to a 4-1 finish last weekend at the NorCal Open! John and I had a really great chat previously (https://warp-hammer.com/2021/07/06/interview-with-rising-chaos-star-john-bianco/), and I couldn’t wait to have him on for another interview.
John beat two T’au lists, Custodes, and Crusher Stampede along the way, slaying all of the current top meta armies. His only loss was to Custodes in the final game, playing for the title. Anyone that is struggling to beat all these strong “power creep” armies will learn a lot from John’s approach and attitude. In this chat, we go over his list, various meta matchups, and how his playstyle can succeed in the new Nachmund GT2022 season. I think you’ll have fun laughing along with us, and learn a lot of lessons about succeeding competitively along the way.
Timestamps are provided in the video description.
- Emperor’s Children Battalion
- Chaos Lord: Lightning Claw, Chainsword
- Dark Apostle and Dark Disciples: Remnant of the Maraviglia, Warpsight Plea
- Sorcerer: Warlord, Reader of Fates, Prescience, Delightful Agonies
- 1 x 10 Cultists
- 2 x 5 Chaos Space Marines
- 1 x 10 Noise Marines: Maximum Sonic Blasters and Blastmasters, Icon of Excess, Lightning Claw on the champ
- 2 Volkite Contemptors
- 1 x 10 Chosen: Lightning Claws, Icon of Excess
- 2 x 10 Terminators: Lightning Claws, Bolters, Icon of Excess
- 2 Dreadclaw Drop Pods
- Don’t be afraid to keep battling against all the new codices. They can do a lot of stuff we can’t do, but we can also do a lot of stuff that they can’t do.
- Deepstrike is a great way to avoid all the powerful firepower many 9th Edition armies can bring to the table. John was very successful against T’au because he was able to start his most dangerous units off the board and bring them in where he wanted.
- Slaanesh Provides. Emperor’s Children remain the most powerful Legion, and have the tools to succeed in the Nachmund missions.
We’re getting closer every day to new Daemon/Chaos Knights/Chaos Space Marine codices, but they still seem far away. John confirmed there are still plenty of ways to win with our old books, so don’t be afraid to keep getting out there and battling against these newer and stronger codices.
Note: Excited to get your Chaos army on the tabletop? Me too! I’d love to work with you on making your fun or weird Chaos idea into a competitive list. If you’re interested in supporting the growth of Warphammer and quality 40K writing and content, feel free to check out Patreon.com/Warphammer and join the team. Additional benefits and coaching are available.
Interested in learning more about playing Chaos? Check out the Warphammer Discord here: https://discord.gg/SgBcXW5s6R
Published: February 18th, 2022
Last Updated: February 18th, 2022